Sweet and Lemony Argentine Carrot Salad
Fresh from the San Telmo market. Good for steak dinners.
- Use a peeler to shave the carrots from top to bottom into long, flat, wide ribbons (stopping before the core).
- Put the carrot ribbons in a bowl with 3/4 teaspoon salt and microwave on high until wilted but still crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Toast the poppy seeds in a saucepan over medium until fragrant, a couple of minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- In that saucepan, heat garlic, oil, and star anise, stirring occasionally, for a couple of minutes. Reduce to low, add sugar and lemon juice and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer for a 3 minutes, whisking along the way.
- Remove the garlic and star anise.
- Pour the dressing over the carrots, let it stand for 15 minutes. Add the poppy seeds and parsley and toss again.
Submitted by: Joel
Thanks to: Milk Street