Smoky Chicken Tortilla Soup
My favorite tortilla soup
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Add bay leaf and chicken and poach 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Place cooked chicken on a plate to cool, and save the broth.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a little olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan, until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate.
- Turn down heat to medium and add onion to bacon fat/oil, cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook a minute longer.
- Add the chipotle chili and sauce to the pot, stir a few seconds (don't inhale deeply), then add the can of tomatoes and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Shred the cooled chicken and place in the pot with the reserved broth (strain through a mesh strainer as you pour it in). Simmer the soup for 10 minutes. Season to taste, adding more adobo sauce, salt or whatever.
- When ready to serve, place crumbled chips in the soup bowls, ladle the soup on top and sprinkle with cheese, bacon and cilantro (yogurt/sour cream avocoado are also lovely additions). Serve with lime wedges if you've got 'em for the beer anyway.
Submitted by: Liz
Thanks to: Rachael Ray