Vesuvio Pasta with Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sausage Sauce
A rich, flavorful, meaty pasta dish balanced by the cleanness of parsley and white wine
- Mise en place: Prepare the onion, garlic, parsley, and wine separately and set aside. Chop up the tomatoes and combine with the chili flakes and a generous pinch of salt. You'll need a big skillet for the sauce, another for the sausage, and a stock pot for the pasta.
- Sauté the onions on medium until pale gold. (You're just sweating them here, not browning them.) Then add the garlic and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the parsley, then the wine. Let it simmer until the alcohol dissipates.
- Prepare the other skillet for browning the sausage.
- Add the tomatoes, red pepper and salt, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until you can begin to draw a wooden spoon through it and see the clear fat trailing the spoon.
- Once the tomatoes are going, get your pasta water going, and then brown the sausage until it's cooked through.
- Salt the pasta water, drop the pasta, cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and combine it with the sauce and the sausage, some extra parsley, and cheese on the side.
Submitted by: Joel
Thanks to: Alexandra Cooks, via Marcella