A Roman classic
- Mise en place: Cut up your guanciale/pancetta, combine the red and black pepper in one small dish, the onion and garlic in another dish, and the tomatoes in another.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the meat and sauté until crispy and golden, about 4 minutes. Add pepper mixture and stir for just 10 seconds. Then the onion and garlic until soft, about 8 minutes. Finally, the tomatoes. Reduce to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. Should take 15-20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt it. Drop the pasta. Cook until two minutes before al dente. Drain, reserving some cooking water.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce in the skillet and toss vigorously with tongs. Add 1/2 cup of the cooking water and cook until everything is coated and the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in most of the cheese, transfer to bowls, and sprinkle a little more cheese, for looks.
Submitted by: Joel
Thanks to: Bon Appetit