Teriyaki Stir-Fried Beef with Snow Peas and Mushrooms
Freeze the flank steak for 15 minutes to make it easier to slice.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine 2 T. soy sauce and 1 tsp. sugar in medium bowl, toss with beef and marinate at least 10 minutes and up to an hour, stirring once.
- Combine 1 tsp. oil with ginger and garlic in small bowl, set aside.
- Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer, break up any clumps, and cook without stirring for 1 minute. Stir beef and continue to cook until browned, 1-2 minutes. Transfer beef to clean bowl and repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef.
- Rinse out skillet and dry with paper towels.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and heat on high until just smoking. Add mushrooms and cook until beginning to brown (may need to turn down heat a bit). Add snowpeas, stirring frequently, until spotty brown, 3-4 minutes. Add water, cover and cook until crisp-tender, 2 minutes.
- Uncover skillet, clear a space in the middle and add garlic/ginger mixture. Mash it until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir to incorporate with the vegetables.
- Return beef with its juices to the pan, add scallions and stir to combine.
- Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 30 seconds.
- Serve with rice.
Submitted by: Liz
Thanks to: The Science of Good Cooking