Brown Sugar Cookies
Cookies with ingredients I usually have on hand. Browned butter make these decadent and caramelly.
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Melt 10 tablespoons of butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, swirling pan constantly, until butter is dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma, 1-3 minutes.
- Transfer browned butter to mixing bowl and add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and stir until completely melted; set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In shallow dish, mix 1/4 c. brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined; set aside.
- Whisk flour, soda and baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 3/4 cups brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter; mix until no lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bow; add egg, yolk, and vanilla nad mix until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl.
- Add flour mixture adn mix until just combined, about 1 minute. Give dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
- Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and puffy and edges are set, 12-14 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
Submitted by: Liz
Thanks to: America's Test Kitchen