No-Knead Bread with 4-hr. rise
Pretty much the best.
Cooking time: 45 min-1 hr
- Mix dry ingredients (sans cornmeal) in a large bowl, then add the water. The dough will be shaggy.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for at least 4 hours.
- A half hour before baking, place a large covered dish in the oven (Le Creuset or dutch oven, at least 5 quarts) and preheat to 450.
- Spray a flat cookie sheet with oil and sprinkle evenly with cornmeal. Flip dough over itself once or twice in the bowl (I find this method easiest) and then place carefully on the cornmealed sheet. Oil some plastic wrap and gently place it over the dough and let rest for 30 minutes.
- When you're ready, remove the pot from the oven, remove the lid and carefully slide the loaf into the pan. Shake it a little to spread it out, but don't worry too much about it as it will correct itself.
- Cover the pot again and place it in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, then remove the lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.
Submitted by: Liz