Smith Family Coffee Cake
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2-quart bowl. Stir in milk, sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and half of the flour. Mix in 3 teaspoons of cinnamon and a half-teaspoon of nutmeg. Slap 'dem raisins in too.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle. Turn on lightly floured surface; knead the heck out of it until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Placed in Crisco-ed 2 1/2-quart bowl; flip over, then turned greased side up.
- Put waxed paper (and maybe a towel) over it. Let rise 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Then, after rising to twice its size, punch it down. Cruel, but necessary.
- Let it rise to double-size again, and again, like a WWF wrestler, TAKE IT DOWN!
- Now it's ready to put in the pans. Brush melted butter on top while in the pan. Mix cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl, then sprinkle on top.
- Let them rise again until double in bulk. Put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 22
Submitted by: Liz
Thanks to: Tony Smith