Roasted Beet Salad
Cooking time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wrap beets in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Unwrap beets and cool.
- While beets are roasting, cook almonds in oili in a small skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden. Cool almonds in oil (nuts will get darker as they cool). Transfer almonds with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and season with salt.
- Stir together shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and oil from almonds in a large bowl.
- Slip skins from beets and halve large beets. Cut beets into 1/4-inch thick slices and add to dressing, tossing to coat.
- Quarter and core pear and cut into julienne strips.
- Arrange beets on a platter and drizzle with any dressing remaining in bowl. Top with mâche, then pear. Sprinkle with almonds.
Cook's note: Beets may be roasted and tossed with dressing one day ahead, then chilled and covered. (Keep toasted almonds, covered, at r
Submitted by: Liz
Thanks to: Gourmet